Yes, it is!
If you are fresh out of college or still pursuing a course – then internships offer a fantastic platform to “learn and grow”. They give a chance to students to apply theoretical knowledge in a real-time environment.
In fact, the value of internships is on the rise in India due to the prevalent startup phase. They need more hands to expand at the initial stage. Nevertheless, interns are required in all kinds of businesses – regardless of size or nature.
With summer breaks around the corner, now is the perfect time to enrol into an internship program. Here’s why:
1. Learn by doing: Suppose you are an Engineering student and are currently learning to use Java. Your approach might be a mix of theory and practical application (in a controlled environment) – but it is not enough. Now, imagine working on Java for 12 weeks for a renowned MNC. That experience will get you maximum exposure.
2. Get first-hand industry knowledge: From current developments and specific trends to relevant news and updates – an internship will give you a 360 degree perspective on your field of interest.
3. Boost confidence level: Since an intern’s profile is extensive in nature, you will work on multiple assignments. You will communicate with employees from different departments on work-related issues. An internship will urge you to get out of your comfort zone and make you more confident.
4. Make contacts: As an intern, you tend to network with your colleagues and seniors. Make sure you stay in touch with them post internship. You never know a bit of goodwill might land you a job in the organization!
5. Learn work ethics: When you work with an organization, you have to make sure you maintain a professional decorum. Similarly, you tend to work with lots of people – which is why it is necessary to learn how to be at your best behaviour.
Some companies also offer a stipend to interns which becomes an added motivation for interns. And even if you don’t get money, keep working hard. Your efforts will pay off in the long run!
Internships help in getting first-hand experience of the corporate world. They act as a stepping stone to a promising career – complete with personal growth. Make sure you experience it at least once in your lifetime.